Cloud Computing has quickly become a necessity to stay competitive in any field. From the private to the public sector, cloud computing services are being swiftly adopted to leverage its advantages for business, security, and communication.
In fact, the DoD recently announced its implementation of enterprise cloud capabilities, noting that Joint All Domain Command and Control efforts will further enhance work involving artificial intelligence software modernization and cybersecurity.
What Is Cloud Computing?
Cloud computing is like renting space or resources on someone else’s computer instead of using your own. You can store your photos, documents, or run programs from there, and access them anytime you have an internet connection.
It’s like using electricity from the power grid instead of having your own generator. You just use what you need, when you need it, and you pay only for what you use.
It’s the same with cloud computing. Instead of buying and maintaining your own computer servers, you can use someone else’s servers to store your data or run your software. This way, you don’t have to worry about things like buying new hard drives when you run out of space or keeping your servers running smoothly – the cloud provider takes care of all that.
The Advantages Of Cloud Computing
Between Private & Public Enterprises, The Benefits Of Cloud Services Are Similar Across The Board:
- Scalability & Flexibility: If suddenly you need more space or power – like needing a bigger car for a family trip – you can get it instantly with cloud computing. No need to go out and buy new hardware, you just use more of the cloud.
- Cost-Effective: Cloud computing means you don’t have to buy expensive computers or servers; you just rent them when you need them. This helps organizations avoid paying for services, software, and hardware they don’t actually need or use.
- Enhanced Collaboration: If you want to share photos or files with coworkers, with an internet connection, you can all access them from the cloud. This enables increased productivity and better communication.
- Data Protection: If your computer crashes, you could lose all your files. But with cloud computing, they’re stored safely in the cloud. Even if your computer dies, your files are safe. It’s like having an invisible backup system.
- Security: Cloud computing can be more secure than traditional IT infrastructures. For example, with the zero-trust architecture the DoD is adopting, security is augmented within systems, not just on the outer perimeter – essentially assuming nobody on the outside or the inside can be trusted. This adds extra layers of risk mitigation and management.
Enterprise Cloud Solutions, specifically mentioned by the DoD during its recent address on Capitol Hill, is a computing model that fuses the flexibility of a public cloud platform with the security and protection of a private one. It offers all the same advantages as traditional cloud solutions with higher performance, improved security, and a seamless experience for users.
Enterprise cloud platforms are optimal solutions for larger organizations with complex IT needs – like the U.S. Military, national defense and national security agencies. The heightened security features include data encryption and access control. This enables companies to meet strict compliance standards.
How Defense Agencies Can Leverage Cloud Computing Services & Solutions
Cloud computing has already revolutionized the way military and defense agencies operate. For example, the Air Force uses cloud platforms to train pilots on new aircraft while the U.S. Army uses edge computing – a specialized form of cloud computing – to improve its logistics operations.
Here Are Some More Ways That They’re Implementing This Modern Technology:
- The Navy Is Using Cloud Computing To Improve Its Command & Control Capabilities.
- The U.S. Military Is Developing New, Cloud-Based Applications For:
- Weapons & Tactics
- Drone Performance Improvement
- Protecting Troops From Cyber-Attacks
Cloud Computing Services Will Continue To Evolve And Transform The Way Our National Security Operates & Innovates. It Can & Will:
- Improve Training
- Improve Supply Chain Logistics
- Improve Troop Security & Equipment Management
- Strengthen The Collection & Analysis Of Data
- Support The Development Of New Weapons Systems
- Support Real-Time Situational Awareness On The Battlefield & Other Missions
- Augment Command & Control Capabilities
- Bolster The Resilience Of Our National Security IT Infrastructure
MAG’s Cloud Computing Solutions
MAG Has Quite A Few Service Capabilities Where We Apply & Integrate Cloud Solutions:
We mentioned the military’s use of edge computing, which is slightly different than traditional cloud-based services. Edge computing uses cloud-based services, but it is not necessarily confined to the cloud. Edge-based data is processed closer to its originating source, and it provides reduced latency and improved performance and security.
MAG utilizes edge computing in its data analytics and visualization services, computing and processing all forms of data as close to the originating point of collection as possible. Our cloud solutions ensure real-time data is processed effectively and securely to empower decision-makers and drive necessary action.
With edge computing architecture, we have changed the paradigm to facilitate reliable data transmissions unimpeded by bandwidth limitations, latency issues, and unpredictable network disruptions that might threaten critical mission efforts.
MAG provides multi-domain application development support, software, and cloud-based solutions that enable multiple data sources to be accessed simultaneously. We can customize our solutions to fit the needs and demands of organizations across diverse environments, offering capabilities from development to testing to deployment.
We employ advanced programming languages, web services, and database applications that maximize effectiveness by focusing on engineering solutions that will perform as designed and without fail in multiple domains (land, air, sea, space, and cyberspace).
MAG also guarantees that all multi-domain applications adhere to the highest standards of the Capability and Maturity Model Integration (CMMI) Level 3 guidelines.
The evolution of IP networking has been driven by the explosive growth of virtualized environments and public and private clouds. We have decades of experience in IP networking to help customers navigate the new landscape.
We can assist with data center virtualized and converged networks, software-defined networking (SDN) pilots and implementation, network function virtualization, and IPv6 (most recent rules dictating how information is sent and received over the internet)migration.
We also focus on application/network interaction, offering in-depth baselining and protocol analysis services.
What About Cloud Security Risks?
With so much data, including proprietary information, personal data, and security-related information, moving to the cloud, the topics of data breaches, cyber-attacks, risk assessment, and risk mitigation naturally arise.
MAG’s cloud solutions and cybersecurity program account for and deal with security risks head-on. We are partnered with product leaders in the commercial cyber market to bring dual-use cyber technologies to the defense and security sectors that effectively secure their enterprise networks and systems.
Our highly trained, certified, and cleared MAG Cybersecurity team provides DoD, federal, and private sector customers with expertise and unsurpassed experience protecting and fortifying information systems, networks, and enterprise systems from continuously evolving cyber threats.
MAG’s security approach goes beyond just securing systems. We provide a cost-effective, Total Security Management Program that incorporates Information Risk Management, reducing the overall level of risk to the customer from malware, attackers, and environmental threats.
Our cyber security team also offers extensive experience providing comprehensive, life cycle RMF management and technical support for several tactical and non-tactical U.S. Army information systems owners.
Connect with MAG today to learn about our cloud computing services, security capabilities, and technology integration services.